Follow "TechBlog" by Email
Tuesday, July 27, 2021
Sunday, May 16, 2021
Canvas Feedback for 2021-22 School Year
- What a crazy year! Help us improve how we use Canvas for the 2021-22 School Year:
End of Year Preparations (Canvas):
- May & June:
- ALL of your current Canvas course cards will be available next year under "Previous Enrollments" -- NO ACTION REQUIRED by you to back anything up or save it offline.
- Teachers using FLVS (Florida Virtual Schools Global) curriculum will LOSE access to the curriculum in August 2021. However, FLVS quizzes will be available in your 2020-21 Canvas courses.
- Last day for teachers to edit Canvas grades will be June 21, 2021.
- Last day for final grades to be entered into Synergy is June 17, 2021.
- 20-21 Grading Timeline
Thursday, April 8, 2021
Chrome Browser TUNE UP
- Starting Monday this week, staff have reported a new Google Meet issue where their video freezes (audio and presentation continue to be fine). Please note we are aware of the problem and are working to find a quick solution. (The manual fix is to turn your camera off for ~5 sec and turn it back on).
- To prepare yourself and your computer for the BEST Google Meet experience, please follow these easy and quick steps in THIS TTSD knowledgbase Article
Google Meet Troubleshooting
CANVAS: Qtr 3 to Qtr 4 Transition
- A new term begins Monday, April 19th - Quarter 4. For our middle and high school teachers, as in past term changes, your Canvas course cards/sections will be available to you next week. Students will see these new course cards for QT4 on Monday, April 19th at 5am.
- Canvas: Transition to a New Quarter
- Canvas Grades → Synergy Report Card (Secondary)
- Canvas: Viewing Dropped Students in Your Grade Book
- Canvas Grade Book: Assignment Groups for the Elementary Report Card
Synchronous Instruction Tips
- High School Reopening 2021: Synchronous with At-Home and In-Person Instruction
Sunday, March 21, 2021
Elementary Teachers & Canvas Gradebook:
- The last day for students who are moving to a new class after Spring Break was March 19th. However, you can still enter and view grades in Canvas Grade by following these directions:
- Here is the Knowledge Base to see your students in Canvas.
- Here is the Knowledge Base to grade your students in Canvas.
- NEW students to your class will be added on March 22nd.
- These students will also be added to your other apps on March 22nd/23rd: Seesaw, Remind, TeacherVUE, iReady, etc.
- Are you teaching students from more than one school?
- Here is the Knowledge Base to merge your classes into ONE Canvas course card.
- Canvas: Combining Canvas Course Cards https://kb.ttsd.k12.or.us/
New District Internet Filter Being Evaluated:
- TTSD IT staff, along with staff at Metzger and Deer Creek, have been testing a new internet filter for our student devices. Features we are looking at are: technician/principal reports & management, YouTube additional filtering, parent reports upon request, user interface for staff to view student activity, "flagged" activity and more. Anticipated rollout of new internet filter is Sprig-Summer 2021.
Sunday, March 14, 2021
Canvas Google Cloud Assignment Issues
- Student submissions are not showing within Canvas after submitting through the Google Drive Cloud Assignment external tool. Ticket as been submitted with high priority to Instructure/ Canvas. Hope for a solution ASAP.- Temporary workarounds may include:
- Have students email/share their completed assignments with you.
- Create a complimentary assignment that is set to an Online assignment where students can submit their Google doc directly from Google Drive.
- Use Google Assignments LTI 1.3 for new assignments
- Open Canvas > Grades
- Click the "Three Dots" next to the assignment name.
- Select "Message Students Who"
- Full Directions: HERE
Classroom Communication Options:
Return to School Tips
- Take a picture of your home technology setup (including the cable connections)
- Use this as a guide for your initial CDL setup in the classroom to ease transition
- Call Help Desk for remote support on connections (503-431-4051)
- With Hybrid instruction in mind, consider the set up you need to make the most of in-person instruction (projector use, document camera, etc.)
- Place a Tech Request for any assistance you may need for this setup. ES Technicians will work through submitted tech requests and associated classrooms over spring break to set up equipment left out.
Friday, March 5, 2021
THIS Weekend = Maintenance: We reserve the first weekend of each month to perform system and network maintenance to ensure the heath and security of our computer systems.
Secondary school Hybrid/100% Online sign up:
- Secondary school families will have the opportunity to join school presentations in these coming weeks to learn how to use ParentVUE to sign up for Hybrid or 100% online instruction.
- Please reference this video for additional instructions for families or support staff:
Return to School
- Our IT Department has been planning for "Return to School" since last March when we began Distance Learning. We are continuing to work and test the following in preparation:
- Dark Fiber at 100% of our schools (increased bandwidth)
- APs in each classroom
- Maintenance of network switches and access points (APs)
- Testing and troubleshooting of any wireless or network issues as staff have been working in schools during this time of CDL
- If you run into wifi issues as you return. Here are some TIPS:
- Turn Wifi On/Off
- This "drops" your computer connection to whatever it believes it's connected to - last AP (home, another classroom, etc.)
- Reboot. 😀
- Access Point Light "decoding"
- BLUE = working with min 1 device attached,
- GREEN = Working but no devices attached
- FLASHING OF ANY COLOR = not working correctly
- Call 503-431-4051 (Help Desk) or submit a tech request with the following:
- Location / can we get the label off access point?
- Did you move locations recently?
- Full description of issue
Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Google Meet - NEW: End Meet for All
NEW FEATURE in GOOGLE MEET : "When a host is done with a meeting and wants to leave, they now have two options:
- Leave meeting: The host will leave the meeting, but the meeting will continue.
- End meeting for all: Everyone, including people in breakout rooms, will be ejected from the meeting. Participants will be informed that the host has ended the meeting. Once the meeting has been ended, people will not be able to rejoin, unless the host rejoins first.We recommend that, after ending a meeting, if a host wants to meet with a new group of people, that they create a new meeting. This can help prevent previous participants from joining."
Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility)
macOS Big Sur - To Update? or Not To Update?
- For those of you on Mac computers, TTSD has released the ability to update to macOS "Big Sur" (aka Version 11.x). Should you?
- There is NO NEED to immediately update to Big Sur before Spring Break.
- HOWEVER: Everyone should ensure their computer is being backed up - TODAY.
- If you want to have the newest operating system on your Mac (always best practice), you'll need to ensure you have enough disk space on your computer and you are backed up. In many cases of the update, it has failed and the computer must be restored (meaning all is lost on your computer and files will need to be pulled from your last successful backup).
- Updating to Big Sur 11
- USE "SELF-SERVICE" to update (NOT System Preferences)
Middle School Student iPads using Canvas WebClip
- TTSD began the 2020-21 school year evaluating the Canvas student APP vs a "WebClip" [a Webclip is a shortcut on the iPad home screen that takes the user to a URL using Safari browser, and not an App]
- Beginning March 1st, all Middle School Student will have the option to use either the Canvas Student App or the Canvas Student WebClip. Students may choose to use either or BOTH.
- The benefits of introducing the WebClip to students are the following:
- Full web browser experience and format, suggested improvements:
- Dashboard - single location to view To Do, Recent Feedback, link to grades
- Calendar - full screen, details of assignments on the calendar date
- Pages/Modules - menu driven and browser-feel
- Ease of turning in Assignments - ie Google Docs, multiple files
Quick note: First Sunday of the month = TTSD network maintenance day This Sunday, August 1st, will be our regularly scheduled network mainte...
We have recently increased the security of a few of our web sites, one of which was the Print Shop . During the upgrade we removed access ...
Thank you for your patience in waiting to upgrade your iPad to the new operating system, iOS 11. We are READY for staff and teac...
We are ready to begin a strategic process for updating STUDENT iPads to iOS 11 that are eligible (purchased within the last ~3 years). We w...